Staycation

Monday, November 17, 2014


I've always wanted to have a staycation and explore our city more. Sometimes I get the travel bg bad, but you really don't even have to leave your town to have an adventure. There are so many things to do if we only took the time to do them. There are places around town that we just don't frequent because they're a bit out of the way or we just don't fit it into our schedule. I took a day this year while the weather was nice and warm to have a full day out on the town with the kids, and we had a blast. I came home sooo tired; I don't know where these kids get their energy!


We started our day off with a movie at the dollar theater (though the movies aren't a dollar anymore). The kids loved it. We watched Mr. Peabody and Sherman, and they loved it so much that I bought it for Mila's birthday recently to add to their movie collection. We stopped by the coffee shop for a drink for me and a cup of hot water to heat up Naomi's bottle in. Naomi fell asleep in the car like I expected she would, so I parked by the park playground and sat in the car while the kids played outside. When she was refreshed and ready to go, we walked over to the fountain we love but don't visit very often. It was fun just seeing Naomi take it in. I watched her as she watched the water coming down in sheets off the side of the fountain and watched as she felt the cold mist on her skin. Knowing she's experiencing something new and for the very first time is such a joy of motherhood. I never tire of it.


I used to stop by the Boise Art Museum when it was right next to my college and I could stop in on my way home from class. Now I just never set aside the time and brain space to do it. So we made that our next stop, and the kids got to see some art and play in the kids' room, which of course was better in their book than the art.


We don't eat fast food,  but we do love a good, classic burger joint. The meat has to be good, and this place is one of our favorites. After filling our tummies, we headed to yet another part of town, where we used Olivia's birthday gift card to get ice cream and candy. We ended the day with some browsing at the cool toy store next door, and with that our staycation came to a close.


I felt pretty accomplished at the end of the day for knocking out all these things that had been in the back of my mind to do, and it was a nice change to be out of the house all day long. For some people that's completely normal, but for us it definitely is not. I have a feeling this staycation thing is going to become a favorite tradition of ours!

xoxo,
Tanya

0 comments:

Post a Comment