Raw chocolate coconut snowballs recipe

Sunday, February 2, 2014


I've been trying out some healthy dessert recipes over the last several months, and I thought I'd share this one with you (from here). Just like the almond butter fudge I posted earlier, most raw recipes share the same ingredients--they're sweetened with maple syrup, there's no flour or dairy, they include unsweetened cocoa powder, and they always have coconut oil. I thought it was annoying how much coconut oil there was in the recipes I've tried, and the dessert turns out pretty greasy because of it. It seemed unnecessary, as if someone didn't test their recipe well. Then I read this very thorough article on coconut oil and now I'm a BELIEVER. It helps with so many diseases, digestion, it's anti-fungal and anti-microbial, and it is the best moisturizer for hair and skin. More coconut oil, please! I'm trying it on my hair next.

Here is a modified version of the recipe. I added more coconut because it didn't seem to be enough, and I thought there was too much cocoa powder, so I've adjusted the recipe for that. And please ignore the coconut I had on hand (the cheap, sweetened kind). I had it hanging out in my pantry and didn't want it to go to waste, but I would definitely use healthier coconut next time. I also put in both optional items because they're both so good for your body, how could I not?


2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup maple syrup (or agave)
1/2-2/3 cup cocoa powder
dash vanilla
optional: 1/4 cup coconut oil
optional: 1/4 cup chia seeds

Dump everything in a bowl, mix it all together, roll into balls and freeze. No baking, no dirty cookie sheets or mixer, no waiting--instant gratification at its finest!


xoxo,
Tanya

0 comments:

Post a Comment