the simplest, most delicious steak sandwiches

Saturday, November 3, 2012

I make these steak sandwiches one night this past week, and thought I'd snap a few photos to share with you guys. All you beef lovers out there--this one's for you!

I don't know if I would call this a recipe, because there really isn't anything to write down or remember. It's just a really delicious, really simple meal for a night when you don't have time to get complicated with dinner (or lunch, for that matter). The key is to use top loin steak, and only top loin steak, and slice it as thinly as you can. This particular cut is soft and delicious (though on the pricier end) and doesn't need to marinade for hours--it cooks up in five minutes flat.

So here are the complicated details:

2 lbs. top loin beef steak
2 onions
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
Olive or canola oil for frying
Creamy horseradish (if you prefer)

Slice your peppers and onions about the same thickness.


Slice your steak as thin as you can for easy frying, and salt and pepper it to taste. (Please don't taste the raw meat. I hope you all know what I mean...)

Fry up your onions and peppers in one skillet until soft and onions are golden, then fry up your steak, a few minutes per side. Using two large skillets for this is the easiest way to go, but you can do the peppers and onions first, then the steak so the meat is the warmest when you're ready to eat.


And we're out of steps! Slice up your favorite bread and toast it, top with steak and vegetables, and enjoy.

This time I tried it with creamy horseradish on the bread, and it was just the kick I was craving. To make it, simply combine horseradish with mayonnaise in the spiciness ratio you like (usually more mayo than horseradish). It is the best paired with steak.

It's funny, you can tell from the sequence of shots that my kitchen was getting darker and darker as I worked, and I kept having to bump my ISO up to the highest setting by the end of it. Next time I take food pictures, I gotta remember to cook in the afternoon...

xoxo,
Tanya

0 comments:

Post a Comment