Delicious Zucchini Fritters

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I thought I'd share that zucchini fritter recipe I mentioned the other day. It has become my favorite way to eat zucchini these days, and is such a good way to use up all the zucchini in my garden. I've made these four times now, and each time they're gobbled up. Ben doesn't normally like zucchini, but loooves these. They actually taste like they have potato in them...mmmm. I keep forgetting to try adding some garlic to the mix, which I'm sure would make them even better. I have a Salad Shooter that my mom gifted me that does all my grating for me and saves my wrists, which makes this recipe a breeze to prepare. The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen, and I'm reposting it here.

Zucchini Fritters

1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini
1 tsp. salt, plus extra to taste
2 scallions, split lengthwise and sliced thin
1 large egg, lightly beaten
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
olive oil, for frying

To serve (optional):
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1-2 tbs. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
pinches of salt
1 small minced clove of garlic

Grate zucchini on a box grater, in a food processor with the shredding blade, or with a Salad Shooter. In a large bowl, toss zucchini with 1 teaspoon salt and set aside for 10 minutes. You can use this time to make your sour cream. Wring the extra water out of the zuchinni by squeezing handfuls of it into the sink. Zucchini has a lot of water!

Return deflated zucchini to bowl and add more salt to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon). Add in scallions, egg, and pepper. In a small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder, then add to zucchini mixture.

In a large, heavy skillet (she suggested using cast iron, which I did, and they turned out wonderfully) heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Drop spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture onto the skillet a few at a time, flattening the tops a bit. Don't crowd the skillet, as your fritters won't brown as well. Cook each side until golden brown and eat immediately! She suggested putting them in the oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees to keep them warm and brown them up more, but I skipped that step, and they were fine.


xoxo,
Tanya

2 comments:

Natasha of Natashaskitchen.com said...

Tanya, yumm yumm!!! Thank you for sharing! We sure enjoyed this recipe. We've made it three times in the past 2 days :)

Tanya said...

Natasha, I'm so glad you liked them! Quick and easy is my favorite kind of food to make.

Post a Comment