Such a full weekend

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

*I have a candy apple picture on Instagram, but it looks like there are too many people downloading off of it at once and it's not working for me. I will add that photo later!

This weekend was a busy one for me, but it was a good one too. I spent all Friday doing last-minute shopping and prep for the banquet on Saturday, and made caramel apples with a friend for the event that evening. I'm so glad she came over and helped me with those, as well as all morning/afternoon on Saturday setting up for the event. It was my first time making caramel apples, and I opted for the easy route, or what I thought was the easy route, which was melting down caramels and dipping the apples in that. Now I actually think the caramels were too soft, causing all the caramel to eventually slide off the apple and pool at the bottom. Only when we tried holding the apple upside down and twirling it in our hands for a good three or four minutes after dipping it did we get the caramel to solidify on the apple. But imagine making thirty caramel apples that way--it would take all night. Next time I want to make my own caramel out of sugar and corn syrup and see if the consistency of that caramel works better.

On Saturday I woke up bright and early and was go, go, go all day, running on pure adrenaline. I loaded the car up from top to bottom with decorations and spent all day setting up at the church for the banquet. Less than two hours before the banquet, I rushed home to finish my cake, make a cabbage salad, pry the drippy caramel apples off the parchment paper and get them in baggies, and make myself presentable. Let's just say I couldn't pull off two days like that in a row. It turned out to be a really fun night, with lots of laughs at our table and a festive feeling in the air. I just couldn't believe when it was all over how much work went into that three-hour party. I don't think I'm taking that upon myself next year.

The kids slept over at their grandma and grandpa's house that night, and when we called in the morning to see how they were (we had sent Mila and Olivia there with pretty mild colds), we found out that Olivia was now running a fever. That meant no church for us, and we spent the day cleaning the house, playing board games, wrapping presents, and taking naps. I made it out of the house once to take some pictures of my parents for their Christmas card, but it was nice to stay inside where it's warm and cozy because the weather has turned bitterly cold. It's also been rainy, dark, and windy, and it just hurts every time I step outside.

All in all, it was a good weekend, and not one I will soon forget! I will share some pictures of the banquet decorations next. It was a lot of fun to come up with ideas and actually get to implement them, so I'm glad I got the oppotunity to do it.

Yesterday (Monday) I spent the day lazing around the house, which was the perfect antidote to the weekend. The girls and I made egg carton owls and I let them watch too much TV. I didn't cook a thing or clean a thing either (though the laundry will be daunting when I get to it). By evening all three of the kids were sick of each other, though, and the bickering was really getting to me. I had to get out of the house, so we headed to Mazzah Mediterranean for some gyros, hummus, and pita bread (craaaaving). It got me back in a happy mood real quick! Today I sent Mila off to school and only have one sickie left at home with me.

xoxo,
Tanya

0 comments:

Post a Comment